16 May 2009

Cybersleuthing

Like many folk these days I do quite a lot of noseying about on Google to find out what's going on in the world pertaining to me, so when I got an email from someone whose name I didn't recognise, telling me of an event we had shared 20+ years ago that I have no memory of, I did a bit of trawling, firstly to see if there was any clue out there to help jog my memory, and secondly to find out if person or persons unknown could get hold of my more private email address which thus far has been fairly spam free. I did foolishly put the email on Facebook for the friend who had sought me out but only invited friends can get in there (I hope.) It was interesting what came up from this search, along with the almost-me obituary as noted below. Mention of my name on another 'social network' often gets me in there to see what's written. That's fun in itself (no voodoo curses so far) but leads to an ego-flattener - any illusion of being a one-off name on this planet soon fades when I count how many people there are sharing my monica.

A touch of insomnia had me chasing about digging dirt on (no, not Torquil Toad this time) my daughter's ex and/or his daughters. As he has threatened C's partner with 'investigation' I decided to be pro-active and get us armed with reprisal missiles. I wasn't disappointed.

In the midst of this entertaining excercise Youtube clips of the High Street came up - good grief no wonder I can't sleep! The things that go under under these extra-bright security street lights are not fit for a decent grandmother's eyes. So I should possibly ask for night-vision glasses for my birthday. It would be better than TV.

I may have mentioned this somewhere in this journal already but the temptation to get a mirror fixed to the wall by my living room window is very strong. The Belgians and the Nederlanders who live in apartments do it so they can see who is knocking at their door. Or that's their excuse.

P.S. It's also quite amazing how many people who share the same name also share the same interest or trade. For instance one woman potter I looked up has a namesake who is also a potter. Chillsider has a dopelganger Born in Melbourne in 1956,. Studied Fine Arts (1975-1981) Graduate Diploma in Woman's studies (1980-1981) Feminist photographer

Well will you look at that! Women's studies and an artistic nature is in full bloom there too.

Food for thought.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

Lucky horse!!!
I dare to say that I think "Wymin's studies" are actually more generally accepted as a norm in Melbourne and arts are rampant. I find people complain about pc language here and it is normal in Oz.
Lots of mirrors are needed everywhere.
Cheers Gillian

stitching and opinions said...

i did notice Oz GG; as I understand it she is a lesbian which is something I haven't taken up as yet.