6 May 2009

Socks

My daughter-in-law once had the idea to start a Black Sock Service, delivering emergency pairs of black socks door-to-door like pizza. Like Pizza the idea didn't catch on at the time with the bank manager. (I have a true story about a friend who'd been in Italy during and after the war returning to Britain and asking for a loan to start a Pizzaria. 'Tomato sauce and cheese on bread - it'll never catch on' was the apocalyptic reply. Then we wonder why the banks have been doing such stupid things lately.) Anyway, what I would like is a service for matching singleton black socks of which I find I have 20. I buy the almost-disposable ones from Tesco but still they don't seem to look the same as each other after a few washes. There's a nice children's story about socks who when lost go to Lost Sock Land and became sock horses. Sometimes they find their partner and live happily ever after. If I made 20 sock horses I suppose I could try selling them.

Nah. Too much trouble.

No comments: