8 May 2009

Facebook...

... has brought me back in touch with a very welcome friend from the Brussels days so joining Fb has been worthwhile after all. I joined reluctantly in the first instance. This blog is my chosen place on the net where I can express myself in a reasonably open way whilst staying incognito to all but those in the know. Mostly I don't want to be sought out by the past as the present is what I have energy for (all I have energy for really!) but still it's nice occasionally to see how folk are getting along with their lives in a not-too-involved sort of way. JW I am delighted to see again and as she lives in Cambridge, working in the University Library, it makes yet another reason for visiting that county some time this year. She also split from her husband of the Euro years and she also went for a while to a religious community, (house..? I have yet to hear more details) So, as in the days of old the wifeless woman did hie her to a nunnery, we both in our ways followed the tradtional, if not quite archetypal, procession of our female ancestry.

I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Later: JMW & I had a long telephone chat friday evening and if ever I though my after-Brussels years had been fraught I have now learned I wasn’t alone. JMW has done more to pull her life around and together than I have and she has achieved more but she always was a high-energy being who expected to achieve whereas I’m not and never did have any expectations of myself. It seems the Brussels years were fairly disastrous for others amongst the first wave of Brits too so there was interesting gossip/news to catch up with. JMW is from New Zealand and thinks nothing of long-haul air travel so is likely to make a short visit within the near future - she flew to her beloved Venice for a day!

2 comments:

stitching and opinions said...

good news, hopefully a trip South soon

Gillian said...

Love your new TV unit! Like you I'm a great fan of Dalziel and Pascoe and love all Reginald Hill stuff.
Facebook reminded me that I had a past in Oz when well over 60 ex-students "found" me in the week after I joined. It was lovely to hear from them too.
Cheers Gillian