7 Oct 2008

Choices...

... there are always choices. They usually occur to me in the small hours like today when my monkey mind woke me at 4.30. With all the other thoughts came sliding the trip across the hills to visit Bryn and Jane last week. A beautiful day, a wonderful drive and I saw 6 other cars in 1 1/2 hours. Once again I forgot to take my camera which was a shame because a few pics would have brightened this blog. I gave Jane her bookcases, bought a nice little Italian style occasional table for a very reasonable price, gossiped, then we had lunch in the deceptively named Tearoom, now quite a sophisticated licenced restaurant in Dinnet less than 100 yards from the 'Auld Alliance.' We had not-very-sophisticated toasties, with a glass of wine for me.

But to get to the choices. Dave suggested that what I really needed was not to close this shop but a change of commodity, and that he would stock it with goodies, bric-a-brac, objet d'art, etchings, engravings, for me to sell next year instead of books. At the time, full of wine, toastie and bonhommie, it sounded rather exciting. Until I remembered why I am closing the shop - because I don't want to be tied to it any more rather than because I am fed up with selling books. On the other hand.... and here comes the next choice.. I could offer to share the shelves with Jane, even Bryn should he take to the idea. The slow trade might be because my stock has dropped in interest....

Memo to self: The reason for stopping is to free myself from this chair...

.... still... it would use the space and add interest on the High Street.... oh the choices to choose....

2 comments:

stitching and opinions said...

Shame you didn't have your camera, but it did remind me of the lovely travels to be taken rather further North of here.
perhaps you could have "Guest Chairpersons" as on the quiz programmes, to sit in the shop................but in the real world i can quite see your point. One of the good things about being retired is joining our own Age of Irresponsibility, probably time you had a go.

carol said...

Thanks for that - and I really like the idea of the 'Age of Irresponsibility.'