21 Oct 2008

Divisive allegiance

The young woman killed by Taleban yesterday for being Christian.

"Her Christian faith motivated her" says the resident priest on the Amazon seller's board.

If people need motivating by anything other than their own goodness of heart then it’s a very sorry state of affairs because external motivation - which is what an impulse generated by religion necessarily IS - must in my view be seen as a lesser motivation. There is immediately another perceptable agenda - looking good for the Club Christian.

Probably this young woman would have been just as motivated if there had been no ‘christian’ church to suck her into its organisation, but the fact is that by allowing herself to be sucked in instead of presenting a caring non-judgemental all-embracing face to the indigenous peoples (the Red Cross do that) she was flying the flag of an enemy.

3 comments:

stitching and opinions said...

I agree, except in my smart arse way I have to point out the Red CROSS is not a symbol that is popular in Muslim countries since the Crusades. Us ?non religious types don't notice the symbolism I guess

carol said...

Good point. I forgot that it's also called the Red Crescent in countries where the cross might be a touchy sight. Google be praised I find there was an attempt to call it the Red Crystal - and for the synbol to be a square. Don't think that move came off!

carol said...

Rats. It doesn't seem to be possible to edit ones own comments - I really didn't mean SYNbol.....