1 Oct 2008

Christmas bling.

I bought my Christmas cards today. The Red Cross shop was selling them last week but I held out until it was at least October. The local garden centre has had most of its indoor sales room roped off for the last three weeks or more, ready for the opening of the Christmas stock so I suppose that by now the artficial trees, lights, baubles and knee-high santas are available in their full glitsy glory. The whole thing gets more and more silly and leeches all the pleasure out of the festivities by such over-exposure. There's still th glories of autumn colours to enjoy - we don't need tinsel and coloured lights to chase away the dark quite yet.

And the silly thing is they will have missed Hallowe'en completely by starting 'Xmas' so early.

Inspired more by the thought that these will be my last few months so I had better sell some of the stock than by any seasonal thoughts, I've started putting the nicest children's books in the window, ones that would make good gifts, but I refuse to add coy little signs like 'Christmas starts here!' Or helpful suggestions (for idiots too dim to think for themselves?) like "Why not buy him/her/it a BOOK for Christmas?' Bleur!

Grumpy old woman here.

Although I do think that the best Christmas gift is a good book. Chosen by me for me preferably.

There is a serious possibility that I will forget I have bought those cards and I'll buy more from elsewhere. Maybe that's the ploy.

Maybe I don't have the right marketing spirit.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

I found myself with a couple of packets of xmas cards in my hand a few days ago, so I bought them! I have always planned to make my own and every year the time runs out, but I could start on Monday when I get home.
Cheers Gillian