11 Oct 2008

Helpful customers.

So many helpful people with ideas for the bookshop. Most recent was the young chap who cycles in from an outlying village with a bag of books, some bought here and some from charity shops which he wants to swop for something different from my shelves. He cheerfully promises to actually spend some real money too. Normally I get frosty about this sort of bartering (there's a perfectly good library in town if all he wants is a free read) but for once I waived the grump and agreed because they were all possible internet fodder. He asked how much he was allowed then carefully spent 50p more than that sum. He handed me the coin with pride. The worm of cynicism wriggled irritably in my solar plexus. Along with the 50p he offered me suggestions for boosting sales, one being a once-a-week 'Beautiful Book Day' a promotion to be linked in with other bookshops in other towns. He would sit here for that day. Or, more simply (and a damn sight less costly... imagine promoting this BB day in the local papers... it would take a couple of years to pay for the adverts!) I could just open one day a week on which he would be sure to visit.

Sit here for eight hours for 50p. Hmmm. Let me think....

He meant well. That's the trouble. They all do. I feel mean for being so ungrateful really. The fact is that any idea, however crazy, has a good chance of success if driven by enthusiasm, energy and willpower. None of which I can rustle up because - I am looking forward so much to my next personal project: - the Age of Irresponsibility.

No comments: