15 Oct 2008

New blog?

I think I might have to start a subsidiary blog to accomodate my anti-religious views. Today a copy of Sam Harris' book 'Letter to a Christian Nation' arrived and I galloped through it. So much less effort than Dawkins and more to the point. I did some googling in the heat of the read and found an intelligent and very readable blog by someone who evidently feels it's worth raising the standard: http://agodlessheathen.blogspot.com/

Religion isn't something that can be ignored as harmless any more. I don't suppose the Irish (or the Glaswegian football teams) have seen it that way for generations but in middle England and up here in Scotland, it's all (mostly) quite genteel and just a part of the traditional way of life along with the Women's Institute and home made jam. Recently this cosy image has started to slip and a dangerous underbelly is showing which could prove a real menace to society. I admit to feeling scared. Not just of the obvious extremism but simply of the threat to free thought. I hope I am exaggerating under the influence of fever.

edited to add: I don't think I quite have the energy for a whole new crusading blog so will warmly support the godless heathen who drives an excellent blog.

1 comment:

stitching and opinions said...

I think I regard Religion as alternative expression of Patriarchy, so i tend to feel annoyed, a bit helpless and so - more annoyed - but in the end -I keep away as far as poss.