4 Sept 2009

The day it rained for ever?

It's raining again. Very unusual for this part of the world to have the same weather day after day. There's flooding in local towns and people being evacuated. I feel so sorry for them. Some will have been through it before. the measures taken to avoid a repeat never seem t be quite enough. Living as I do on a sand dune and quite well above the water line I think I'll be OK but it doesn't pay to feel too smug. Goodness knows how depressed the farmers must be feeling.

5 comments:

stitching and opinions said...

Heard there was flooding via the wireless, so glad to read that your feet are still dry.

carol said...

'The wireless.' That takes me back. The little lecturer at Saffers whose name I can't think of.... grey wispy hair in a bun ... did something new and adventurous every summer like learning to drive a tracor (why do all these spurious details come back when her name won't?) once struck a red line through 'wireless' in an essay I wrote because it was an outmoded term and I should have used 'Radio.'

stitching and opinions said...

Didn't we used to call her Gladys?
I like to use wireless when i can, the word has a hinterland

carol said...

Oh yes! Miss Rich?

'Wireless' has been reborn. Not that I can get my BT Home Hub wireless facility to work but it should do.

Unknown said...

Your comments immediately took me back to North at Saffers in our third year. Squeaky linoleum. Miss Rich was our .... what were they called? Anyway, she was in charge of North, and she was a good lady. She stuck up for me when the others wanted to fail me.