13 Sept 2009

Trends in reading

Anthony Trollope must be having a revival because after not selling one at all for literally years I've sold five in the last three weeks. Odd. Not even a TV adaptation to explain it.

Lots of novels and crime going out the door. The onset of autumn has to have something to do with that. The trees are turning, the berries reddening, the nights drawing in. I've been reading voraciously myself, which isn't always the case these days. Yesterday I bought a complete hardback set of Agatha Christie's works in 'as new' condition at the car boot for £20, and although I've been asked for her books in the shop recently I'm going to keep them for myself. They are, like Harry Potter, comfort reading. I got them home at noon yesterday and have read two already. They're a welcome change from WW2.

Also a welcome relief from the crime authors I was reduced to by the end of the week. James Paterson 'The Quickie.' Not recommended!

And then there was that Lee Child book. A nice but pushy customer is an admirer - a groupie even - of Lee Child. He has corresponded with and met his hero, has lots of signed first and every time he comes to town he pops in to see if I have any in stock, not to buy, just to talk about them, and to find out if I've read one yet. Because I was stubbornly refusing to try a title so we could have a proper conversation about the style and general excellence, this non-buying customer finally shoved a small pile of LC's through the letter box and told me he would come back in five days to check out my progress. Grumpily I tried one. NOT my taste. I didn't think they would be. Anyway it's never good having to read a book when you're not in the mood. (I couldn't be a Booker judge even if they went down on their knees for my opinion.) When he came back in as threatened I confessed it wasn't for me and sugared the pill (needlessly) by saying that they were probably 'men's books.' He objected to that excuse. Statistics have shown that 65% of LC's readers are women. OK. I'm abnormal. Furthermore, he told me crossly that he didn't like the book I had recommneded for HIM the last time he came into the shop. The subtext was clear: 'You don't like my favourite, I hate yours.'

Oh dear! I really must stop being so honest.

2 comments:

stitching and opinions said...

Lovely to have a reason to go to Tintern Abbey, maybe S or I will like one too.
Must confess [guiltily] to devouring L Child, Sue also likes him. I dunno what it is, just sheer testosterone, no feelings, total fantasy, but can't read them too often, then they get very annoying.
Girl with Dragon Tattoo is a female version?

Gillian said...

No! Don't ever feel obliged to stop being so honest. Read whatever you want and say so.
Cheers Gillian