1 Mar 2008

Can you find a book for my old dad?

Chap came barrelling in smelling slightly alcoholic but cheery. 'My old dad's the oldest of the original residents in our village and he's got to go into hospital. Can you you find me a book for him?" "We have these books about your village. "Nah. He knows all that.' 'Er... what sort of thing does he read then?' "He was in the war on one of those boats defending us like.' 'Something from this section then? ' I'm pointing to Naval history, WW2. I pull out one with an exciting looking picture of a destroyer on the front. 'Nah. He knows about the war see. He was in it.' Oh. Right. 'He likes gardening.' I guide him to the gardening books. 'Nah. He knows all about that.' I point out books about wildllife and the natural world. Nice to read about when you're stuck in a stuffy ward. 'Nah. He knows all that.' 'Oh yes. Of course. Um....?' I'm floundering a bit now. 'He doesn't like cats either.' Well, that came out of left field as they say, but I took it on the chin and picked out Tarka the Otter. 'Does he like otters.' 'Nah. Too many of 'em. They eat all the fish.' There's a clue here. 'Ah! He's a fisherman. What about a book about fishing.' "Nah. He knows all about that." I'm getting desperate now but the chap is still standing there looking at me hopefully. 'What about a Western?" 'Oh aye. Where are they then?" I show him. 'He's read all them.' Well, that was predictable but the Westerns are next to the books about naughty Victorian school girls and French Mistresses. I see my customers' eyes sliding in that direction. 'Shall I just let you browse then?' I ask tactfully. 'Oh aye. Right.' He's there a long time. He buys ten paperbacks from that section. Should I worry about the nurses? Or the old boys BP? Or will Dad not get these books at all. Maybe they'll think a bag of grapes is more suitable.

No comments: