9 Mar 2008

Sunday, sweet sunday...

If there is any question about it - the pictures are from'Rituals of Freemasonry' pub. Reeves (undated, C1868) Very uncomfortable the rituals look. Maybe that's where the idea for group discovery games came from.

Sunday usually turns out to be harder work than the rest of the week because there is so much domestic stuff to catch up with. I promised myself two days off a week this year but so far haven't felt I could take them. Today is packed with food; the sourcing, buying and preparation of it, because Sophie arrives this evening for a week away from London pollution. It gave me an excuse to go to M&S and the Phoenix, the Findhorn Foundation shop, as well as Tesco because Sophie not only is veggie but after years of miserable internal discomfort finally discovered she is wheat and dairy intolerant. It's a challenge. A good one though because it means I also will eat healthily for a week. The Phoenix wasn't open when I got there so I ambled up to the café to have a coffee and a delicacy which they call almond croissant but which doesn't bear much resemblace to a croissant. Too flat and too custardy. It is much more like a wonderful breakfast confection I ate daily for a week somewhere in Greece. Galatopita mi siropi possibly, although I'm not sure. Anyway, it was delicious and I shared it with a polite crow who asked nicely then took the piece away to eat very delicately with it wedged under his foot so he didn't have to gobble. I like crows, although I would hate to be on the end of an attack by that beak. Geordie used to tell me some nasty things about them which are no doubt true, but I shan't go into that right now! I like all birds as long as I don't have to touch them; feathers give me the heebies. About 23 years ago in Brussels I took part in a North American Indian workshop/ ritual whatever and called up my power beast. It was an eagle. Bit of a surprise that. I had expected a feline of some sort.

Full of good tastes and good will I ambled back down to the shop to find that it was only open for about an hour this day because the electricity had to go off for some arcane reason. Pity they hadn't let their customers know with a handy notice on the door. I threw stuff into a basket; wooden knick-knacks for young Finley whose second birthday it is next week, together with bars of very dark chocolate, soy puds and so on. Also a calendar, now half price. Somehow I never find a calendar I can bond with until the year is well under way. Then to Tesco for Bombay Sapphire gin, tonic, and a butternut squash which is about to become soup.

No comments: