16 Mar 2008

An enjoyable interlude.

It was fun and remarkably profitable. After all the usual expenses, a few modest purchases, and an extra night in the hotel I still came back with something worth putting into the piggy bank. I'm always amazed when I sell anything at all at the Edinburgh fairs - 80 dealers present, some from the biggest, longest established, poshest, antiquarian bookshops in Britain, yet still everyone stands a chance of finding a customer. The 'Recollections of Oscar Wilde' with the beautiful cover has gone to Ireland with a happy dealer (he really did seem pleased with it!) and my pocket is richer. Otherwise it was Gaelic & Doric poetry & Scottish books that went mainly. Some of the Dickens characters by 'Kyd' which have hung around here for a long time, and a couple of 1st ed. Diana Wynne Jones children's books. René Bull's Carmen will be with me for a bit longer which is no bad thing. I have to start collecting seriously for the week-long Edinburgh fair during the Edinburgh Festival, when Jane and I are going to cox-and-box stall holding for each other, taking some of Bryn's books for him. We got talked into it at the AGM in the fever of the moment. Lyon & Turnbull put on a good buffet supper for all the dealers and like locusts we left nothing in the dishes, in the glasses or on the sweet trays. Very hot, crowded and convivial it was too.

No comments: