12 Mar 2008

I don't understand how it is I can't be vegetarian. When I met these babes last summer, still in their incubators but already destined to be people's Christmas dinner, I really didn't know how Jane could do it. To rear then have killed creatures she had got friendly with, even to cook one herself seemed brutal. I felt like Alice when she met the pudding but felt it was a bit rude to eat it after being introduced. All nonsense of course. Jane is made of earthier, more sensible stuff. She saw to it that they had the very best life then were killed quickly and cleanly without time for fear. She even managed to gut them herself. I do admire that. Better than my effete, denial induced squeamishness. To come back to my first question and answer it - the reason I can't be vegetarian is the delicious smell of roasting bird. I would never have been able to resist.

1 comment:

stitching and opinions said...

oh you can't part with that book, the illustration is gorgeous