20 Mar 2008

Swops, cats and kaftans.

Well that worked out quite well. The ex-owner of Roland's 'Fencing' and Durer Woodcuts and County Histories & etc. wanted credit not cash. I was a bit worried that he would take all my easily saleable books and leave me with these titles which are for me rather less easy to match with the perfect partner. Happily he went for a Rackham which isn't in amazing condition and the Brown's Bible I have had since the beginnings of time (thanks be to my grandmother for buying it from a house sale many decades ago.) He did take a nice copy of the Ingoldsby Legends which is a shame, but there we are. A few other children's books I shan't miss went onto the pile and the exchange was made. I'm not sure why it seems so much less satisfactory doing a swop like this instead of spending money then getting it back later, but maybe it's my pride in the weekly score. I can comfort myself with the thought that I shall have some new titles to tempt my fellow traders at the next fairs.

Jane has booked us a hotel for the Festival. £50 a night and she says it's a good breakfast so that's something to look forward to. I found the photo of her new kitten on the net - Mab, a Devon Rex. She looks gorgeous. Biba the dog is already cowed into submission and the other cat is intrigued but grumpy. What fun to have this family of personalities. I would like to take a day off next week to visit. Maybe Tom will be back from Glasgow and shop-sit.

Jane and Bryn both said they would back me if necessary in my attempt to warn Red Umbrella about Mr. Toad. It was a surprise but I was grateful to hear approval and not condemnation for what I did. I'm not ashamed of myself. I did it knowing I was laying myself open to disapproval but feeling RU should have the chance of a heads up before getting in too far (if it's not already too late.) It would have been more meaningful coming from a man who could less easily be described as 'malicious' but this time it felt as if it was my turn. Mr Toad still owes Jane money and at least two other PBFA dealers I know of, which has given rise to the name DisaPierce.' As soon as they think they know where he is he has gone again! He continues to cause waves.

Donald rang yesterday. He didn't get to the fair because the school football team he coaches won its way to the final round and he was too busy celebrating. The celebrations seemed to have gone on for three nights at least. His bibliophile friend Ken Barclay couldn't believe it: - "But they're schoolboys! How can he be on a three day binge with schoolboys?" It seems the roistering was in the evenings with the parents and adult supporters. The manager of the Post Office down the road here was amongst them and said Donald was loking a bit green the next day! 'He said it was the food! We weren't so sure.'

If I do go to visit Ballater next week I'll offer to take Donald over with me. He loves the stories about Jane's menagerie.

I was envious of Glen's trip to the Russian exhibition. Hopefully it will inspire her to big splashy coloured hangings and I can buy one. (I'm ready for another big splashy coloured hanging Glen.)

Dinner with Karen and David was fun. They have recently returned from India and Morocco and Burma and goodness knows where else they have wandered to this winter. They look well despite their chilly return to a house without oil for the heating. It was a six day wait before Gleaner came to their rescue, during which time they went down with colds. Margaret and Alan were also there for the meal to celebrate David's 69th birthday and we had fun. Alan is a very witty chap who has MS to deal with but a very positive outlook on life in general. He's almost at the stage of needing a wheel chair and is using the shopmobility chariots whch he says are fun but have no brakes! The Inverness ones can be taken round the town and along the river walks which is really nice for him, and for Margaret and their dog. They are moving from their present house so they will be nearer to the town, on one level and without garden. It could be a sad move but they are very cheery and positive about it. Planning ahead he recently sold me more of his books. They sell well because he was a sex therapist. The text books are recent enough to still be used for courses and the erotica that he had on hand, as it were, is always a goer!

Karen brought us all back presents. A beautifully embroidered jacket for Alan which looked excellent on him and silk kaftans for Margaret and I. M's is purples and orange. Mine is in aquamarine with swirly hues of blue. Very cool. We were royally dined on roast duck quarters, or salmon in paper parcels (for Margaret who is a piscatarian.) The duck was wonderful; I wish I had some right now. Must be coffee time again!

That will make my third today.

1 comment:

stitching and opinions said...

I am doing some very colourful, but equally, strange things at the mo, so be careful or you may get what you ask for, and that is always nerve wracking gg