27 Mar 2008

Raise a cheer for Penguin Books

Every time I read about the beginings of Penguin Books I feel exultation. It really was an incredibly courageous and pioneering initiative. H happened across this today:

Allen Lane, 'All About the Penguin Books', The Bookseller, 22 May 1935

"I would be the first to admit that there is no fortune in this series for anyone concerned, but if my premises are correct and these Penguins are the means of converting book-borrowers into book-buyers, I shall feel that I have perhaps added some small quota to the sum of those who during the last few years have worked for the popularization of the book-shop and the increased sale of books".


His efforts weren't received so well by everyone......

"In my capacity as a reader I applaud the Penguin Books; in my capacity as a writer I pronounce them anathema. Hutchinsons are now bringing out a very similar edition, though only of their own books, and if other publishers follow suit, the result may be a flood of cheap reprints which will cripple the lending libraries and check the output of new novels. This would be a fine thing for literature, but it would be a very bad thing for trade, and when you have to choose between art and money - well, finish it for yourself."

George Orwell, New English Weekly, 5 March 1936

It did, however, have its supporters amongst the press and with some celebrated writers.

Dear Lane,

These Penguin Books are amazingly good value for money. If you can make the series pay for itself - with such books at such price - you will have performed a great publishing feat.

Yours sincerely,

J.B. Priestley

No comments: