24 Mar 2008

Some quotes about poetry

Poetry is just the evidence of life.  If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.  ~Leonard Cohen

Poetry is a deal of joy and pain and wonder, with a dash of the dictionary.  ~Kahlil Gibran

There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money, either.  ~Robert Graves, 1962 interview on BBC-TV, based on a very similar statement he overheard around 1955

Imaginary gardens with real toads in them.  ~Marianne Moore's definition of poetry, "Poetry,"

Poetry is a packsack of invisible keepsakes.  ~Carl Sandburg

To see the Summer Sky
Is Poetry, though never in a Book it lie -
True Poems flee.
~Emily Dickinson

http://www.quotegarden.com/poetry.html

1 comment:

stitching and opinions said...

I wish they had forced me to learn poetry by heart at school. I am sure it could be very effective in anger management. I have the Guardian series of poetry books in the loo, but altho I am enjoying them I am annoyed that the only woman in the Twentieth Century worthy of print is young Sylvia Plath, no disrespect I am enjoying her richness, but surely there were/are others!