5 Mar 2008

Youth of today.

AH called in yesterday to find a copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Her daughter is auditioning in London next week for the part of Alice in a new film. The daughter's 16th birthday is Sunday next and her agent had already rung her to ask if she would fly to LA for a modelling job that day - the first day she is legally able to work as a model. Jeepers! She couldn't go because she is at a school of music near Aberdeen and has to play in a concert so the Alice audition is a sort of consolation prize.

I found a copy of Alice for her at a reasonable price luckily (the daughter isn't coining it yet then?) but the request brought me face to face with the loss of my children's paperbacks. I was glad to sell them off after Christmas because I needed the space, but if I were to have to decide which sections sell best in here it would be: local history, Scottish general, children's, history. Maybe not in that order. History sems to be selling fast at the moment. I still have the 'collectable' children's books but they don't provide for the child coming in who wants a book to read, it provides for the granny who wants to buy her grandchild a book SHE loved. I might phase out one of the other sections to make room for the paperbacks again. The mother-and-daughter combo who want to open a secondhand bookshop selling children's books in Forres haven't managed to find a shop cheap enough to rent sadly. The ex-florist's was on the market at over £1000 a month. Crazy for that small space in this small town. Probably hoping from help from Higher Powers 'Divine Light' has opened there with resin statues of Buddha, healing crystals and dream catchers (surely bit passé by now, and more powerful if one makes ones own I have been told.) I give it 6 months to a year. This isn't Glastonbury. Yet. I wonder if the butcher's wife will go in and welcome them as she welcomed me? "Oh aye, well.... it's such a shame to see the High Street being taken over by incomers.'

No comments: